Newsflash: not everybody loves the same type of cookie!
While some people may swear by the Tollhouse chocolate chip cookie recipe, others insist that Chips Ahoy are the best cookie out there.
They are both right.
Why not up your baking game and have more than on type of chocolate chip cookie in your recipe box?
Today I’m sharing a different type of chocolate chip cookie. This chewy and crispy cookie has a hint of brown sugar and a pinch of salt that balance the flavors perfectly.
This cookies really holds its crunch too! Even on day three or four they are still crunchy!
Most traditional chocolate chip cookie recipes start with the same basic ingredients and technique: butter and sugar (a mix of white and brown) are creamed together with a touch of vanilla until fluffy, eggs are beaten in one at a time, followed by flour, salt, and some sort of chemical leavening (baking soda, baking powder, or a bit of both). The mixture is combined just until it comes together, then spooned onto a baking sheet and baked.
So, whats the trick to getting chocolate chip cookies that hold their crisp?
Light Corn Syrup!
Aside from a few other tweaks to the classic chocolate chip cookie recipe, the corn syrup lends a beautiful crackle and sweet crunch. Additionally, melting the butter allows the cookie to have less air that the traditional creamed butter and sugar method. The more air in the cookie, the more softness. Be sure to bake only one pan at a time and allow these beauties to cool for a few minutes on the pan before placing them on a cooling rack.
I hope you’ll love this variation of a classic chocolate chip cookie as much as I did.
Secret ingredient crispy chocolate chip cookies
- 1.5 cups All purpose flour unbleached
- 3/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 8 Tbsp Butter, melted unsalted
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup Light brown sugar packed
- 2 Tbsp Light corn syrup
- 1 each Egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- 3/4 cups Semisweet chocolate pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, silicone mats or spray with non-stick spray. ( for best results only bake one pan at a time)
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer or by hand, mix together the melted cooled butter, both sugars, and corn syrup until smooth and mixed together well.
- Add the egg yolk, milk and vanilla and mix until fully incorporated and smooth, about one minute.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix until evenly distributed.
- Using a cookie scoop ( #50) or a tablespoon roll into balls about 1.25 tbsp each. Place on prepared pans and bake ONE PAN AT A TIME in the middle shelf of preheated oven for 12 minutes. If your oven bakes unevenly, rotate cookies by turning the pan front to back halfway though baking.
- ALlow cookies to cook on pans for about 3 minutes before transfering to cooking rack.