The best way to grow your home bakery business is to fill your baking schedule with prepaid orders. If you’re ready to learn how to do this then keep reading because I’ll show you what successful home bakers are doing to have more profit and less stress in their baking business.
Want to learn how to avoid the most common mistakes that most home bakers make?
How much to bake when you start selling baked goods from home
Starting a bakery from home can be confusing and overwhelming. Deciding on how much to bake can feel like a blindfolded game of Pin the Tail on the Donkey! You weigh all the variables and do your best but it's still a guessing game. Have you ever found yourself thinking:
- How many people will be at the farmer’s market?
- Who will show up for my front porch sale?
- Will they even like my stuff enough to buy it?
When you guess at how much to bake, you run the risk of guessing too high or too low.
If you don’t bake enough you are missing sales from customers who want to buy from you.
Or worse, if you bake too much you could get stuck with leftovers that you invested time and money into preparing.
Either way, you are missing out on making more profit! The good news is that it doesn’t need to be this way.
Ready to learn how to get a fully booked home bakery?
How would you feel if you knew exactly how much to bake each week? What if you had a schedule for your available time slots and you consistently filled them with pre-paid orders?
Imagine...only baking for customers who have already paid you before you even turn on your oven!
When you learn how to start taking pre-orders from your customers you can avoid the problems of leftover products, unpaid orders, and no-show customers.
Set your hours and make money selling baked goods from home
One of the best things about working for yourself is that you get to decide what your hours will be!
Start by thinking about your baking schedule and how it will fit with your other commitments.
- Do you have a full-time job?
- Are there family commitments that take a higher priority?
- How many days a week are you willing to be in the kitchen baking?
Use a template to organize your home baking business orders
A template, or master plan, for how many bakery orders you can take daily will help you to organize your time.
Back when I was just getting started with my own home bakery, I started using this system to know how many orders I could take and when I needed to say no to new orders.
Instead of worrying about how many orders I had and how I would get it all done, I was able to focus on the other aspects of my business and felt confident with how many orders I accepted.
Here are three simple steps to scheduling your time in your Successful Home Bakery Business
- Using a calendar, or my Bakery Scheduler Tool, cross out the times that you are not available. You may need to look at your plans for the year and decide which holidays you will bake for and which you want to take off.
- Next, it's time to look at your productivity. How much can you bake in one hour? ( a dozen cookies, a loaf of bread, or a cake?)
- Use the template to schedule orders in the time slots according to how much time you need to make the order.
All you need to do is repeat these three steps each week using a fresh calendar page or the Bakery Scheduler Tool.
Building a successful home bakery
Now that you’ve got the framework for scheduling orders, you can work towards the goal of fully booking your home baking business.
Here are a few more tips to help you get a fully booked bakery:
- Show up consistently on social media (not just when you want to sell stuff)
- Focus on growing a local following on Facebook and Instagram
- Use a call to action in your posts by telling followers the action you want them to take
- Start your holiday promotions early.
When it comes to social media, you have to give to get. Think of ways to serve your customers and get them engaged with you, your page, and your brand.
Sharing successful home bakery business tips
Creating a fully booked home bakery should be the goal of every home baker. When you are fully booked, it means that you have as many customers as you desire ordering your delicious baked goods. Using a tool like my Bakery Order Scheduler can help you organize your home bakery orders. You’ll know exactly how many orders you can take on each baking day.
Imagine how great it will feel to be fully booked and have payments in the bank before you even turn on your oven!
Let’s celebrate your success together!
Use the hashtag #fullybookedbakery when you post your fully booked status and we’ll cheer you on!
Wishing you success in everything you bake!