Have you been thinking about making your own pizza crust at home?
Do you have a sourdough starter that is ready to be used?
I'm going to show you how simple it is to use a sourdough starter to make great pizza dough at home.
Let me help you uncomplicate the science of bread baking
If you worry that baking with sourdough is too technical and too much work then think again! Learn how to bake easy, beautiful loaves of bread without being a slave to your starter.
Download my ebook Bake Better Sourdough today for only $5.00
Sourdough pizza crust is easier than you think
The dough is made from just 4 simple ingredients. It is very easy to mix, in fact you don’t even need a stand mixer. With only 5 minutes of kneading and some time for the dough to rest, you can have an authentic Italian style pizza crust. Top it however you want with pizza sauce, cheese, meat, or veggies for a fun pizzeria-style meal at home. I'll even show you how to save and freeze your pizza dough so you can top and bake pizza crust whenever you want a quick meal.
Sourdough pizza crust uses pantry basics you already have on hand
- Sourdough starter- don't have a starter yet? Click here to get my sourdough ebook and start today!
- Bread Flour
No need for an electric mixer here!
While most bread recipes call for a stand mixer, this recipe is so simple that you can mix it by hand. I just combined the ingredients in a bowl, then turned them out onto a clean countertop. I used my hands to knead the dough until it was smooth and elastic which took about 5 minutes. If you prefer to use your mixer and a dough hook that will also work.
The steps involved are:
- Weigh the ingredients
- Mix with a spoon until the ingredients are all combined
- Turn out onto the counter and knead by hand for 5 minutes (in a mixer with a dough hook for 4-5 minutes)
Sourdough pizza crust needs more time to proof
-Start the dough early (8 hours before you want to eat)
-Remember that natural starters are slower acting
-Place the dough in a warm spot in your kitchen
-When the dough has risen to double its size, it’s ready to shape
Use the dough now or freeze it for later
-This recipe makes 4 individual size crusts or 2 large crusts
-Turn the dough out onto your work surface and divide it into the desired number of crusts
-Using plenty of flour, gently round the dough
If you are making your pizzas within 24 hours: place in a covered container and refrigerate until you are ready to shape and top your pizzas.
If you are freezing your pizza crusts: Allow the dough balls to rest at room temperature for about 20 minutes. Flatten the dough in the shape of the crust. Place on a sheet of parchment and freeze flat. When the dough is completely frozen, stack crusts and place in a plastic food storage bag. Keep them separated with parchment.
Top and bake your pizzas
-Preheat your oven to 450° oven
-Place a pizza stone in lower ⅓ of oven
-Roll out the dough to the desired thickness
-Lift the dough onto a piece of parchment paper
-Top your pizzas with desired toppings
-Bake for 10-15 minutes for individual pizzas or 20-25 minutes for a large
Sourdough Pizza Crust
Use your sougdough discard to mix up an authentic pizza crust.
- Pizza Stone, Food Scale, Parchment Paper
- 2.25 cups Bread Flour (100%, 13oz, 368g)
- 1 cup Water (70%, 8.5oz, 248g)
- 1/2 cup Sourdough Starter (25%, 4oz, 113g)
- 1 tsp Salt (2%, 0.25oz, 7g)
- Into a large bowl, pour the water measurement. Add the sourdough starter, bread flour measurement, and salt.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until you have a shaggy mass and there is no visible dry flour.
- Turn the dough out into a work surface and knead until smooth and elastic. About 5 minutes.
- Let the dough rest in the warmest part of your kitchen until doubled in size.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface. Divide into 3 individual crusts or 1 large crust.
- Gently round the dough into balls. Cover and allow to rest at least 20 minutes before shaping.
- To bake immediately transfer shaped crust onto a piece of parchment and top with your choice of sauce, cheese, meats, or veggies. Bake at 450°.10-15 minutes for the small crust and 20- 25 minutes for the large crust.