Are you a peanut butter lover? This easy and fluffy peanut butter icing recipe is perfect for frosting your favorite cake or chocolate cupcakes. It’s so delicious that everyone who tries it will be begging for more. Keep reading to find out how it got nicknamed “addictive” and get ready to take your desserts to a whole new level with this peanut butter frosting!
The story behind this creamy peanut butter buttercream frosting
When I owned my cupcake shops I had 10 flavors of cupcakes that were on the menu every day. They were the most popular flavors that customers always wanted. This peanut butter frosting made up one of those “top 10” flavors. I served it on top of a rich, fudgy chocolate cupcake and decorated them with a generous amount of chopped Reese’s peanut butter cup pieces.
This frosting was so good that customers would ask me what I put in it because it was “so addictive!” So many customers felt this way that we developed a reputation for our addictive buttercream frosting, and even went so far as to create special parking places for our loyal frosting customers.
Ingredients for the Perfect Peanut Butter Frosting
This recipe makes enough frosting to frost 24 cupcakes or to decorate an 8-inch layer cake. You can make it ahead of time and keep it in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
To start, gather the following easy-to-find ingredients:
Smooth Peanut Butter: The type of peanut butter you use will greatly impact the texture and taste of the frosting. Opt for a smooth, creamy peanut butter for a velvety finish.
Butter: Use unsalted butter at room temperature for the best results. Softened butter blends more easily, creating a smooth and spreadable frosting.
Milk or Heavy Whipping Cream: You can choose between milk or heavy cream, depending on how rich and luxurious you want your frosting to be.
Powdered Sugar (aka Confectioners’ Sugar): This sweetens the frosting while thickening it to achieve the perfect consistency.
Pure Vanilla Extract: Vanilla adds a delightful flavor that complements the nutty richness of the peanut butter.
A Pinch of Salt: Don’t underestimate the power of a pinch of salt. It helps balance the sweetness and enhances the overall flavor of the frosting.
Here’s the equipment you’ll need to make this creamy frosting
To prepare this easy frosting recipe, you’ll need the following equipment:
Stand Mixer or Electric Mixer: A stand mixer with both a paddle and a whip attachment. You can also use and electric hand mixer. These are essential for achieving a smooth and well-blended frosting.
Large Mixing Bowl: If you are using an electric hand mixer, make sure you have a large mixing bowl to avoid any spillage while mixing the ingredients.
Airtight Container: Once your frosting is ready, you can store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for future use.
Pastry Bag: If you want to use this frosting to decorate cupcakes, a pastry bag will be your best friend.
Tips to Create the Perfect Peanut Butter Frosting
The best thing about this creamy frosting is biting into it and tasting an intense peanut butter flavor. To achieve this, I like to have the creamy peanut butter swirled into the vanilla frosting. The two flavors are the perfect complement to each other.
Once you’ve mixed up the main ingredients, you can add the creamy peanut butter and gently fold them together creating irresistible swirls of flavors.
This step is optional, and the frosting will still taste great even if you decide to blend the peanut butter all the way in while mixing the frosting.
Tips for the Most Addictive Peanut Butter Frosting
- For an extra nutty flavor, consider using peanut butter that contains small peanut chunks. You can also opt for natural peanut butter for a less sweet option.
- If your frosting turns out too thick, add a splash of milk or whipping cream. On the other hand, if it’s too runny, add more powdered sugar to achieve the desired consistency.
- You can store any leftover frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Just make sure to bring it to room temperature and give it a quick whisk before using it again.
Addictive Peanut Butter Frosting
- Stand Mixer with paddle and whip attachment or electric mixer and a large mixing bowl
- Airtight Container to store frosting for 2-3 days
- Pastry Bag If you will be using this to decorate cupcakes
- 1 lb Butter Unsalted, softened
- 2 lb Powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Milk or heavy cream for more richness
- 1/2 cup Creamy peanut butter
- Using an electric or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat softened butter until it is soft and smooth. Approx 5-10 minutes depending on how soft butter was to start with. You may need to scrape sides to fully incorporate butter.
- Change to whip attachment and add powdered sugar, salt, vanilla, and milk or heavy cream. Begin mixing on low speed then slowly increase to medium. Continue mixing until buttercream is light and fluffy. The key to this buttercream is whipping it. It transforms into a silky, melt in your mouth frosting.
- Using a rubber spatula, lightly fold in the creamy peanut butter so that you see streaks of peanut butter mixed throughout the frosting.
With this easy peanut butter icing recipe and a few simple ingredients, you can elevate your desserts to a whole new level. Whether you’re preparing a sheet cake for a special occasion or whipping up some delightful chocolate cupcakes for an afternoon treat, this creamy and fluffy peanut butter frosting will surely steal the show.
So, what are you waiting for? Get your ingredients, dust off your mixer, and indulge in the most addictive delicious frosting you’ve ever tasted. Peanut butter lovers everywhere will thank you!